News On Iran & Its NeighboursIraqBush administration decides not to release evidence against Iran

Bush administration decides not to release evidence against Iran

-

ABC News: A senior State Department official told ABC News that the United States will not be going public with any evidence it has on Iran’s activities in Iraq.
ABC News

Jan. 30, 2007 — A senior State Department official told ABC News that the United States will not be going public with any evidence it has on Iran’s activities in Iraq.

The official contradicted a previous statement made by the former U.S. ambassador to Iraq, Zalmay Khalilzad. In a briefing with reporters last week, Khalilzad had said that the United States will provide details on its case against Iran very soon.

According to the State Department official, Khalilzad and the military leadership in Iraq had planned to present the evidence this Wednesday, but the State Department and the White House objected. Concerns were raised about revealing sensitive intelligence and about the echoes of intelligence failures on Iraqi weapons of mass destruction.

An American embassy spokesman in Iraq has also told ABC News that, “the ambassador promised and I would hold him to his word.” He did not, however, give a specific date on when the presentation would happen.

Recent assertions by the Bush administration point to Iran as responsible for part of the chaos in Iraq, saying that the Iranian government has been arming Shiite militias inside Iraq.

The U.S. military in Iraq has detained Iranians in at least two separate instances in the last few weeks.

While speaking with ABC News’ Betsy Stark, President Bush said that “all options are on the table” when it comes to dealing with Iran, but the United States has no plans to invade Iran.

Similarly, White House spokesperson Tony Snow said that there is “evidence that the Iranians have been involved in activities that have led to the deaths of American soldiers and also the deaths of innocent Iraqi civilians — and to the extent that that kind of activity continues, we will respond appropriately.”

The evidence was expected to include material seized after U.S. forces arrested several Iranians in Baghdad on Dec. 21. Those Iranians were eventually released and sent back to Iran.

One official said that the material seized during the raid includes evidence tying the top leadership of Iranian intelligence to an extensive effort to provide funding, arms and training to Shiite militia fighters in Iraq.

For now, it seems that officials have decided not to make any of this information public.

Latest news

The Untold Story of Iran Regime’s Assassinated Qods Force Commander

On the evening of May 22, IRGC Colonel Hassan Sayad Khodai, one of the senior commanders of the Iranian...

Not Even India Invests in Iran’s Ports

Over the past few years, India has been expanding Iran’s port of Chabahar, seeking to send goods through this...

Khamenei’s Wrong Decisions and Its Poisoning Result

In recent days, many demonstrations have taken place across Iran, protesting the Iranian regime’s decisions to increase the price...

Iran: Officials Promote Starving Citizens Under a ‘Great Economic Plan’

Over the past four decades, the Iranian regime has been infamous for making false statements. As a result, citizens...

After Coronavirus, Iran’s Regime Kills People Through Starvation

Multiple protests have recently erupted in various cities across Iran, following the 100 to 400 percent increase in the...

Requirements for a Simple Life in Iran; the Unattainable Dream

It is no exaggeration to say that Iran's economy is in a major freefall. All economic indicators are suggesting...

Must read

Iran has 43 cholera cases mainly near Iraq-report

Reuters: Iran said on Saturday it had 43 cholera...

Commander: Biggest threat to Iran is ‘soft war’

AP: The commander of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guard says...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you