News On Iran & Its NeighboursIraqMultinational Force in Iraq lashes out at abduction of...

Multinational Force in Iraq lashes out at abduction of Iran dissidents

-

Iran Focus: Baghdad, Aug. 15 – The Multinational Force in Iraq on Sunday strongly condemned the abduction earlier this month of two Iranian dissidents who were protected persons under the Geneva Conventions.
The U.S.-led force announced that the two members of the opposition group People’s Mojahedin or Mujahedeen-e Khalq (MeK) were abducted on August 4 in eastern Baghdad while on a routine logistics trip to Baghdad. Iran Focus

Baghdad, Aug. 15 – The Multinational Force in Iraq on Sunday strongly condemned the abduction earlier this month of two Iranian dissidents who were protected persons under the Geneva Conventions.

The U.S.-led force announced that the two members of the opposition group People’s Mojahedin or Mujahedeen-e Khalq (MeK) were abducted on August 4 in eastern Baghdad while on a routine logistics trip to Baghdad.

The Multinational Force in Iraq said that it “strongly condemns the abduction of persons protected by the Geneva Convention”.

“Upon learning of the abduction, MNF-I immediately requested that the Iraqi Police investigate the abduction, and is assisting in attempting to find the missing men. MNF-I units have checked with numerous police and Ministry of Interior units and stations, and have notified the MNF-I hostage working group”, the force said in a statement.

The Multinational Force’s working group on hostages has been the lead agency dealing with previous cases of hostage-taking in Iraq, including the abduction of several Western journalists. The statement indicated that the U.S.-led force is treating the abduction of the two Iranian dissidents as a hostage issue.

The Multinational Force’s press release, posted on its website, said that the MeK have been considered protected persons under the fourth Geneva Convention since June 2004.

The U.S. military earlier confirmed the abduction and said it was working to secure the men’s release.

The MeK named the abducted men as Hossein Pouyan and Mohammad-Ali Zahedi. Both men, who are in their forties, are long-time opponents of Iran’s religious government and face severe consequences if returned to Iran, the group said.

Latest news

Iran Regime’s Clerics Fear Their Inevitable Overthrow

The danger of demise is greatly scaring the Iran regime’s top clerics, forcing them to confess about it in...

Iran’s Regime Playing With Fire

Trapped in the nuclear talks, which are teetering on the verge of collapse, the Iranian regime has launched a...

Iran and Hezbollah Face Blame for Dual Financial Crises

The United States Treasury Department announced on Friday, January 21, that it would be enforcing sanctions on three Lebanese...

Iran – Conflicting State Policies Deepen Social Crises

The Iranian regime has decided to spend about $800 million to encourage more childbirths in 2022 in an attempt...

NCRI Hosts Conference in France To Address the Need To Hold the Iranian Regime Accountable for Its Crimes

On January 17, the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) hosted a conference in Auvers-sur-Oise, north of Paris,...

Iran’s Regime Tries To Whitewash Its Crimes

Iran’s State Prisons and Security and Corrective Measures Organization, which is under the supervision of the Judiciary, has distributed...

Must read

G8 to Iran: end violence, reflect will of people

AP: Group of Eight foreign ministers criticized Iran's postelection...

Iran calls new US sanctions ‘psychological war’

AP: Iran's foreign ministry has dismissed the new U.S....

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you