Iran General NewsBritain admits failings over Iran's seizure of sailors

Britain admits failings over Iran’s seizure of sailors

-

AFP: Britain admitted Tuesday that collective failings led to the seizure of 15 sailors by Iran in March, but said no disciplinary action would be brought. LONDON, June 19, 2007 (AFP) – Britain admitted Tuesday that collective failings led to the seizure of 15 sailors by Iran in March, but said no disciplinary action would be brought.

Defence Secretary Des Browne said a review into operations and rules of engagement concluded the group’s seizure was “not the result of single gross failing or individual human error”.

Instead, there was a “coming together of a series of vulnerabilities, most of them relatively small when viewed in isolation, but which together placed our personnel in a position which could be exploited by Iran”.

But the review concluded “that there is no case for disciplinary action against any of the individuals involved,” although it “does emphasise that many of these individuals could have done more to prevent what happened.”

The eight Royal Navy sailors and seven Royal Marines were seized in the northern Gulf on March 23 as they carried out routine anti-smuggling operations, after Iran alleged they had entered its territorial waters.

They were held for eight days and were shown on Iranian television apparently confessing to their “mistake” before being released.

Browne said the report had highlighted a number of shortcomings, including the need to identify, assess and recognise the complexity of such boarding operations, as well as train personnel accordingly.

It also recommended using specialists rather than a “composite team” in such situations.

Browne said he accepted the report, by former Royal Navy Lieutenant General Sir Rob Fulton, and underlined that many of the recommendations had already been implemented.

He also said he agreed with the findings of a separate review into the media handling of the incident by former BBC news chief Tony Hall.

On the storm surrounding payments to some of the 15 for their story on their return, Browne said Hall had concluded there had been a “collective failure of judgment” within the defence ministry.

A series of recommendations were made to prevent a repeat and to improve dealings with the media in the future, he added.

Latest news

Iran and Hezbollah Face Blame for Dual Financial Crises

The United States Treasury Department announced on Friday, January 21, that it would be enforcing sanctions on three Lebanese...

Iran – Conflicting State Policies Deepen Social Crises

The Iranian regime has decided to spend about $800 million to encourage more childbirths in 2022 in an attempt...

NCRI Hosts Conference in France To Address the Need To Hold the Iranian Regime Accountable for Its Crimes

On January 17, the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) hosted a conference in Auvers-sur-Oise, north of Paris,...

Iran’s Regime Tries To Whitewash Its Crimes

Iran’s State Prisons and Security and Corrective Measures Organization, which is under the supervision of the Judiciary, has distributed...

Iran: Raisi’s Six-Month Economic Record Contrasts Sharply With His 7,000-Page Program

In the summer of 2021, the Iran regime’s supreme leader Ali Khamenei installed the infamous Judiciary Chief Ebrahim Raisi...

Iran’s Export in the Casino of the State Mafia

The Chairman of the Tehran Chamber of Commerce, Mohammad Khansari, has stated that the total volume of exports of...

Must read

Iran’s technical export contracts top $2.5b in 2008

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Apr. 06 - Iran signed...

Annan cancels controversial trip to Iran

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Nov. 04 – United Nations...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you