Iran General NewsIran wants OPEC "solution" to low oil prices-IRNA

Iran wants OPEC “solution” to low oil prices-IRNA

-

ImageReuters: Iran, OPEC's second-biggest producer, said a "solution" to lift oil prices would be proposed at a meeting of the group later this month, the official IRNA news agency reported on Tuesday.

ImageTEHRAN, March 3 (Reuters) – Iran, OPEC's second-biggest producer, said a "solution" to lift oil prices would be proposed at a meeting of the group later this month, the official IRNA news agency reported on Tuesday.

Oil Minister Gholamhossein Nozari said on Sunday he did not expect a further output cut decision this month after Iran had previously suggested OPEC could impose further curbs, but he did call for a mechanism to repair prices.

Crude prices have plunged by more than $100 a barrel since a peak of $147 last July as demand has tumbled. To shore up prices, OPEC pledged to cut output by a total of 4.2 million barrels per day (bpd) since September.

"OPEC members on March 15, 2009 in Vienna will review the situation of the market and will present a new solution to improve oil prices," Nozari said.

IRNA said he gave no further details about the "solution" and in a later report said Iran would make the proposal.

A senior Iranian oil official, contacted by Reuters, said he could not comment on the minister's remarks.

"If OPEC members remain fully committed to OPEC cut decisions, it will have an impact on the oil market," Nozari said.

Nozari said on Monday that OPEC last month had 80 percent compliance with its output curbs and that action on the remaining 20 percent would help market stability.

A Reuters survey on Monday estimated OPEC compliance at 81 percent and supply from the group in February remained 780,000 barrels per day higher than the implied target of 24.84 million bpd. (Reporting by Parisa Hafezi, writing by Edmund Blair; Editing by Ben Tan)

Latest news

Regime’s Negligence Makes Iran the Main Loser in Oil Competitions

Last Friday, the Iranian regime’s president Ebrahim Raisi claimed in a meeting that his regime could be a 'stable'...

Dez River Joins the Dried-Up Rivers of Iran

The Iran regime’s insistence on pointless dam construction and the diversion of the rivers has dried up another river...

Iran’s Bankrupted Pension Funds

Four of the Iran regime’s pension funds are currently unable to pay their retirees' salaries and benefits from internal...

Iran’s Pharmaceutical Industry on the Verge of Extinction

In Iran, patients with unique and critical diseases are experiencing intimately suffer from a dire drug and medicine supply...

The Latest Status of Iran’s Nuclear Program

Complexity does not describe the current state of Iran's nuclear program; The situation has become much more complicated, and...

Iran’s People Do Not Buy the Regime’s Economic Promises

Right before Ebrahim Raisi, the Iran regime’s president took the office, he and his economic team introduced a 7000-page...

Must read

UN says Iran arms to Syria violate UN sanctions

AP: The U.N. political chief says Iran's delivery of...

Israeli attack on Iran less likely if Romney wins: advisor

AFP: An ill-advised Israeli attack on Iran would be...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you