Reuters: These are some of the leading stories in Iranian newspapers on Saturday. Reuters has not verified these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy. TEHRAN, Jan 23 (Reuters) – These are some of the leading stories in Iranian newspapers on Saturday. Reuters has not verified these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.
– The Energy Ministry proposing to quadruple electricity rates in the 2010-11 Iranian year.
– "Carcinogenic pollutants in Tehran's air 50 times higher than those in Europe or America," said a senior Tehran municipality official.
– International financial markets closed to Iran and the buy-back financing scheme not helping projects in the oil industry," said former Oil Ministry official Akbar Torkan, who called on the government to allocate funding in its annual budget bill.
– The average liquidity conducive to inflation in the Iranian economy has grown to 33 percent in the fourth five-year development plan (2005-2010), said reports by parliament's research centre.
– "We should not be witnessing poverty in affluent Iran," said President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to the reports of growing poverty in the country.