Iran General NewsUS tells Saudi Arabia that Iran threat is shared...

US tells Saudi Arabia that Iran threat is shared concern

-

Jeddah, 22 Jul – US Defense Secretary Ash Carter said after talks in Saudi Arabia that Iran’s “potential for aggression” was a shared concern as he moved to bolster defence ties with Riyadh following a nuclear agreement with its arch-foe, Reuters reported.

The conservative, mainly Sunni Muslim kingdom is engaged in a contest for power with Shi’ite Iran stretching across the region. It fears the nuclear deal will free Tehran from international pressure and sanctions, giving it more room to back allies in conflicts from Syria to Yemen.

Since Salman became king in January, he has tried to build a Sunni coalition against Iran’s regional allies, boosting support for rebels against Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad and waging war against Yemen’s Houthi militia.

In the talks, Salman and his defence minister reiterated their public support for the deal while voicing some reservations, like the need to properly implement the accord, Carter said.

He said discussions in Jeddah focused on advancing security ties, including in missile defences, cyber, maritime security and special operations forces, following up commitments made by Gulf states at a summit at Camp David in May.

Carter sought to emphasize US and Saudi concern about Iran, citing “malign activities in the region and potential for aggression”.

He singled Iran out along with Islamic State militants as the top two shared challenges facing both nations and noted concerns in Yemen.

“The Iranian influence with the Houthis is real,” Carter said.

Carter said Saudi King Salman, the most powerful of the Gulf monarchs, would visit the United States and meet President Barack Obama in September.

In May, Salman’s abrupt decision to skip the summit of Gulf leaders that Obama hosted at the Camp David presidential retreat raised speculation of a diplomatic snub, despite denial in both countries.

“I wish I could have been there for Camp David,” Salman said, speaking through a translator, as received Carter at a palace in Jeddah.

Prince Bandar bin Sultan, a former head of the kingdom’s intelligence services, cautioned last week that Iran’s nuclear deal would allow it to “wreak havoc in the region.”

Latest news

Iran’s Poverty “Monitoring System” Has Become Worthless

Ali Rabii, the Minister of Cooperatives, Labour, and Social Welfare of Iran’s previous government, in 2018 informed about the...

Iran’s Severe Political Isolation and Foreign Trade Impasse

Peyman Pak, Head of Iran’s Trade Development Organization, in a TV interview with the state Channel One on October...

Iran: Women Heads of Households Are Victims of the Mullahs

In Iran over the past three years, Iran’s women heads of households have endured exhausting pressures in various social,...

Iran’s Government Normalizes the Coronavirus Outbreak

While the coronavirus death rate in Iran’s fifth wave is still high and many provinces have a critical situation,...

Iran’s Economy Worsens As the Government Continues To Plunder National Wealth

The current economic situation in Iran is the worse one that the country has experienced in the last century....

Political Corruption in Iran, Increasing Number of Secret Parliament Sessions

With the presence of the Iranian regime’s new government, which has become a collection of the most vicious elements...

Must read

Iran’s top nuclear negotiator rejects suspension of enrichment

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Jul. 04 – Iran’s top...

Iran cites human rights abuses in France

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Dec. 02 – A senior...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you