NewsSpecial WireMultinational Force in Iraq lashes out at abduction of...

Multinational Force in Iraq lashes out at abduction of Iran dissidents

-

Iran Focus: Baghdad, Aug. 15 – The Multinational Force in Iraq on Sunday strongly condemned the abduction earlier this month of two Iranian dissidents who were protected persons under the Geneva Conventions.
The U.S.-led force announced that the two members of the opposition group People’s Mojahedin or Mujahedeen-e Khalq (MeK) were abducted on August 4 in eastern Baghdad while on a routine logistics trip to Baghdad. Iran Focus

Baghdad, Aug. 15 – The Multinational Force in Iraq on Sunday strongly condemned the abduction earlier this month of two Iranian dissidents who were protected persons under the Geneva Conventions.

The U.S.-led force announced that the two members of the opposition group People’s Mojahedin or Mujahedeen-e Khalq (MeK) were abducted on August 4 in eastern Baghdad while on a routine logistics trip to Baghdad.

The Multinational Force in Iraq said that it “strongly condemns the abduction of persons protected by the Geneva Convention”.

“Upon learning of the abduction, MNF-I immediately requested that the Iraqi Police investigate the abduction, and is assisting in attempting to find the missing men. MNF-I units have checked with numerous police and Ministry of Interior units and stations, and have notified the MNF-I hostage working group”, the force said in a statement.

The Multinational Force’s working group on hostages has been the lead agency dealing with previous cases of hostage-taking in Iraq, including the abduction of several Western journalists. The statement indicated that the U.S.-led force is treating the abduction of the two Iranian dissidents as a hostage issue.

The Multinational Force’s press release, posted on its website, said that the MeK have been considered protected persons under the fourth Geneva Convention since June 2004.

The U.S. military earlier confirmed the abduction and said it was working to secure the men’s release.

The MeK named the abducted men as Hossein Pouyan and Mohammad-Ali Zahedi. Both men, who are in their forties, are long-time opponents of Iran’s religious government and face severe consequences if returned to Iran, the group said.

Latest news

Raisi’s Execution Tactics Exposed

Ebrahim Raisi will become president of Iran in just over a week, even though (or perhaps, because) his resume...

Khuzestan Water Shortages Protests

The Khuzestan protests over water shortages entered their 12th consecutive day on Monday, with demonstrations spreading to other cities...

Iran’s Failed Economic Policies Lead to Loss of Food Security

In the field of economics, there are two types of challenges. First, urgent issues, and second, long-term problems. In...

Iran Water Protests Revive Opportunities and Threats From Earlier Nationwide Uprisings

On or about July 15, residents of the Iranian province of Khuzestan began protesting over severe and persistent water...

Iran’s Officials: “We Are All To Blame”

Because of the destruction of the eight-year Iran-Iraq war which destroyed Iran’s southwestern Khuzestan province the other border provinces,...

The Disastrous Results of Iran’s Corrupted Projects

Following the recent protests over the water shortage of the Iranian people mainly in the Khuzestan province, there is...

Must read

Report on planned Israeli strike on Iran ‘absurd’

AFP: A senior Israeli official dismissed as "absurd" a...

Photos: Students call on Iran president to “release classmates”

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, May 16 – Students from...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you