Iran Nuclear NewsIran insists it will retain nuclear programme

Iran insists it will retain nuclear programme

-

Reuters: Iran will not abandon nuclear activities, despite its negotiations with the EU about ensuring its nuclear programme cannot be used for weapons, President Mohammad Khatami has said in an interview. But it will continue for now to discuss the issue with Europe and the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog, Khatami told Tuesday’s edition of French newspaper Le Figaro.
Reuters

PARIS – Iran will not abandon nuclear activities, despite its negotiations with the EU about ensuring its nuclear programme cannot be used for weapons, President Mohammad Khatami has said in an interview.

But it will continue for now to discuss the issue with Europe and the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog, Khatami told Tuesday’s edition of French newspaper Le Figaro.

Washington backs these talks but insists, like the EU, that they must end with Iran giving up uranium enrichment, a process that can produce material for nuclear weapons as well as fuel for power plants. Iran says it has no ambitions to develop nuclear weapons.

“We are ready to consider any reasonable solution, but we refuse to suspend our (nuclear) activities for good,” Khatami told Le Figaro.

“The Europeans have to understand that the (Nuclear) Non-Proliferation Treaty and international agreements allow us to possess nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.”

Khatami had talks scheduled later on Tuesday with French President Jacques Chirac. France, Britain and Germany are offering Iran political and economic incentives to terminate and dismantle its uranium enrichment programme.

Iran says it has suspended all work linked to enrichment while the talks proceed.

The European Union says that if Iran resumes enrichment, it will support a U.S. plan to refer Tehran to the U.N. Security Council, which could impose economic sanctions.

“I hope that this problem can be resolved as soon as possible. But if, through pressure, people try to force us to give up peaceful nuclear power, that will be unacceptable,” Le Figaro quoted Khatami as saying.

He said he took seriously the threat of a possible military attack by the United States on Iran’s nuclear facilities.

“We are preparing for it, but it seems unlikely. Such a strike would be to the detriment of Iran and its attackers.

“Let’s hope that the latter remain rational. But we are prepared to defend ourselves against any form of irrationality.”

Latest news

Iran’s Government Has Failed Today and Is Losing Tomorrow

After months of a break and expectation for the sixth round of Iran’s nuclear negotiation with world powers, finally...

Iran’s Government Must Blame Itself for the State of Economy

Following the five-day talks in Vienna last week that turned out to be fruitless in agreeing on the future...

New Blow to Iran’s Government, Iraq Seeks To Remove It From Its Energy Market

Iraq is facing many problems due to the continuation of international sanctions against the Iranian government and is seeking...

Daily Protests in Iran Are Developing Into a ‘Dangerous Situation’ for the Iranian Regime

Due to the Iranian regime’s mismanagement of the economy, their rampant corruption, and their brutal oppression of society, protests...

Huge but Hidden Corruption

The chairman of Iran’s Privatization Organization Hossein Ghorbanzadeh previously said that about 525,000 properties have been registered in the...

Iran Government’s Quagmire in the Nuclear Negotiations

After the first round of Iran’s nuclear negotiations with world powers, known as the JCPOA, Ali Bagheri, the Iranian...

Must read

IRAN: IRGC member killed under torture after refusing to fight in Syria

The Iranian Regime has tortured and killed one of...

Iran to run out of cash to import gasoline in August

Bloomberg: Iran, which imports more than 40 percent of...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you